Select Page

Financial Support

When you are planning your Sixth Form course, it is important to consider how you will manage your finances.  During your studies there will be things that you will need to pay for, such as; travel costs, field trips, uniform, art materials, stationery, etc. 

Here are some of the funds you may be eligible to access whilst you are studying at Accrington Academy Sixth Form.

The 16-19 Bursary Fund is a scheme introduced by the Government to replace EMA.  The fund is managed by the Academy and aims to provide help to young people who face the greatest barriers to participating in education.  A guide for young people and their parents or carers is available on the 16 to 19 Bursary Fund on the government website.

The Bursary is available to help disadvantaged students with the essential costs of studying including:

  • Travel
  • Essential Course Costs

The Academy makes every effort to ensure that the Bursary Funds are awarded fairly, widely and to the students most in need.

Guaranteed BursaryStudents who are in care/have recently left care and students who are in receipt of Income Support (or the equivalent Universal Credit), or who are in receipt of both Disability Living Allowance (or the new Personal Independence Payments) and Employment Support Allowance (ESA) (or Universal Credit as a replacement for ESA) in their own right are entitled to a guaranteed Bursary of £1200 per academic year.

No guarantee can be given that funds will be available and funding limits may apply.

General eligibilityIn order to receive support from the Accrington Academy 16-19 Bursary students must:

  • Be aged under 19 years of age on August 31st in the academic year in which they start the course
  • Have reached the statutory school leaving age
  • Hold his/her own bank account
  • Hold a confirmed place for a course of study in Accrington Academy Sixth Form

Discretionary BursaryApplications from students who do not necessarily meet the criteria for the Guaranteed Bursary, who find themselves facing significant financial barriers may also be considered. No guarantee can be given that funds will be available. Eligibility is assessed according to family income and prioritised to those students in greatest need. Evidence of household income will be required with your application.

How to Apply
If you think you may be eligible for support from the 16-19 Bursary please contact the Sixth Form Administration Office for more an application form.

Completed application forms should be submitted with supporting evidence of status (and if required financial circumstances) to the Finance office. The deadline for applications is the end of week 4 of the Autumn Term.  Funding is limited and can run out, therefore students are encouraged to make their application as early as possible.  Changes in circumstance and late applications will be considered.

What Happens Next?
The outcome of applications will be communicated to the applicant in writing and will include details of any funding allocated and how it will be paid.  Successful applicants will be required to sign a 16-19 Bursary Fund Agreement, a copy of which must be returned to Accrington Academy Sixth Form Administration.


You may be entitled to receive free school meals if you* or your family is in receipt of any of the following means tested benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit

*Student who receive any of the above benefits in their own right (i.e. you get benefit payments directly, instead of through a parent or guardian) can also get free school meals.

How to ApplyIf you think you may be entitled to free school meals, you will need to complete an application form which you can get from your local council.  If you are already receiving Free School Meals at secondary school you will need to make a new application for entitlement during your Sixth Form Study.

The council will process your application and if you are eligible they will confirm this in writing to you. They will normally communicate your entitlement with the school directly, but it is always useful if you can provide supporting documentary evidence to our finance office when you receive it.

Here are the contact details of local authorities applicable to Accrington Academy area:

Hyndburn Borough Council Scaitcliffe HouseOrmerod StreetAccrington BB5 0PFTelephone +44 (0) 1254 388 111Email

Blackburn with Darwen Borough CouncilKing William Street,Blackburn,BB1 7DYPhone Number(s) 01254 585585E-mail

Burnley Borough Council Town Hall Manchester Road,Burnley,BB11 9SAContact

Ribble Valley Borough Council,Council Offices Church WalkClitheroeLancashire BB7 2RATelephone: 01200 425111Email:

Care to Learn is a fund designed to help young parents (mother and fathers) continue their education and take part in learning by helping to pay the cost of childcare and related travel costs.

You can claim Care to Learn if you are a parent who is:

  • a parent under 20 on the day your course begins
  • the main Carer for your own child
  • living in England (Residency conditions apply)
  • attending a course which is publicly funded
  • the other parent is unable to provide childcare and is not claiming the Childcare element of Tax Credit

You may be entitled to receive up to £160 per child per week towards the cost of OFSTED registered childcare whilst you are at school.

What it coversCare to Learn can help with the cost of:

  • your childcare, including deposit and registration fees
  • a childcare taster session for up to 5 days
  • keeping your childcare place over the summer holidays
  • taking your child to their childcare provider

In order for payments to be made:

  • your childcare provider will need to confirm your child’s attendance
  • the school needs to confirm that you’re attending your course

NB:   Childcare payments are made directly to the childcare provider and travel payments are made directly to the school.

Care to Learn does not affect your own benefits or your families’ benefits or allowances.  You do not have to be on benefits in order to claim it.

For more information and to download an application pack visit the  Care-to-learn website alternatively you can contact the  Care-to-Learn helpline 0800 121 8989

Funding may be subject to Residency Conditions. Accrington Academy cannot be held responsible for changes to funding criteria by the funding body.

Translate »