Designed for learners who are interested in learning about the scientific sector alongside other fields of study, with a view to progressing to a wide range of higher education courses, this course will develop your scientific vocational skills alongside your independent learning skills. BTEC Science should particularly suit students interested in a wide variety of professions such as nursing, occupational therapy, veterinary nursing, radiotherapy, science laboratory technician, sport and physiotherapy. To be taken as part of a programme of study that includes other appropriate BTEC Nationals or A Levels.
Unit 1 – Principles and Applications of Science I
- Written examination set and marked by Pearson
- 1 1/2 hours
- 90 marks
- A task set and marked by Pearsons and completed under supervised conditions
- The supervised assessment is arranged over 2 sessions in a three week period timetabled by Pearsons
- The supervised assessment sessions are 3 hours for Part A and 1.5 hours for part B
- Practical investigation and written submission
- 60 marks
- Equivalent in size to one A Level.
- 4 units of which 3 are mandatory and 2 are external.
- Mandatory content (83%).
- External assessment (58%)
Unit 1: Principles and Applications of Science I
Unit 2: Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
Unit 3: Science Investigation Skills.
Unit 8: Physiology of Human Body Systems
Click on Teacher name to read full bio
A-Level Pass Rate
Most students achieve their expected grades or above and many students move onto university.
I enjoy the practical nature of the course and the fact that there are no exams. Being able to apply what I have covered in class to real-life context allows me to gain an deeper understanding of science. I hope to go on to study science at university and the independent learning skills I have been taught will serve me well towards this.Sammie Gibson
This could lead to a career as a….
- Biomedical Scientist
- Pharmaceutical Scientist
- Sports Therapist
- Biological Life Scientist
Sixth Form Prospectus
So what are you waiting for?
We believe we offer an outstanding selection of courses along with spectacular facilities and an amazing enrichment programme. Why not complete our online application form so that we can explore the possibilities open to you.