- Vocal Adrenaline
- Glee Club
- Steel Pan Group
- Jazz Band
- Piano Club
- Music Technology Club
- Chamber Choir.
Enrichment in the music department is key to every musicians development. We offer a variety of enrichment groups during the day and after school that are open to everyone.
- Monday – None
- Tuesday- Production Rehearsal & Jazz Band
- Wednesday- KS4/5 Study (Room 212) & Production Rehearsal (Room 211)
- Thursday- Production Rehearsal
- Friday- Vocal Adrenaline (Room 212) & KS4/5 Study (Room 211)
Being involved in an extra curricular group at Accrington Academy can lead students to a variety of incredible opportunities – see performances
In the past year we have:
- Sang National Anthems at an international rugby league match between England & New Zealand. In preparation for this, students attended a number of rehearsals and also performed and interviewed for BBC radio Lancashire. The performance at DW Stadium was also aired on BBC1.
- 12 dedicated students went to London to perform an African suite of music called Zimbe! on a West End stage with 1000 other United Learning students. This also involved a large number of rehearsals and an interview and performance for BBC Radio Lancashire. On the second day of this trip we made a visit to Warner Bros Studios to see the set and magic behind Harry Potter.
- Our students joined over 1000 students and staff across United Learning at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester. The students performed “Wassail! Carols of Comfort and Joy” – a brand new musical score composed by renowned composer Alexander L’Estrange.
- We are keen to get involved in local events. Recently we have performed for Accrington Mayor’s Charity Ball and jazz band are preparing for a performance at Hyndburn’s Jazz Festival at Clitheroe in May.
- Performances in school happen regularly. We work alongside dance and drama to put on fabulous shows every term including: The Christmas Cabaret, Performing Arts Academy Awards and Shine. We also perform frequently in different events; for example, students are often keen to do lunch time performances and assemblies.
If you have an interest in music, there are so many fantastic opportunities here at Accrington Academy!
Click on Teacher name to read full bio
Mrs L. Clarke
BMus (Hons) & PGCE Secondary Music
When I was growing up, I always wanted to be a pilot in the RAF. When I discovered that I was too small to do this (couldn’t see over all of the dials in the cockpit) I decided that I would become a music teacher. All the way through school music was a huge passion of mine. I was in every singing group, and as many instrumental groups as I could be, and I made sure that I was at every concert and performance. I am a keen composer and I love to write music for different events, ensembles and purposes. My love of being a musician really drives my love of teaching- I am so lucky that I get to make music and share how fantastic being a musician is with students, every day! In my spare time, I enjoy singing with my dog (he’s very talented), going hiking or doing water sports. I also enjoy reading and baking.
Mr N. Donnolley
BA (Hons) Popular Music and Recording & PGCE Secondary Music
I have always loved music, at a very young age I would stay up late listening to my parents’ Led Zeppelin records when they thought I was in bed, and in primary school I realized that taking up the clarinet meant I could play in a band!
In high school a friend told me that if I learned the guitar I could play in his band – this decision led to me performing in every school performance and on through university and professional life.
My passion for teaching stems from all the positive experiences I have of secondary music and I count myself lucky that I get to teach such a fantastic subject every day.
In my spare time I enjoy hiking, swimming, reading and performing with the band.
In year 7 I never really enjoyed music as much as I do now and over the years of being in school I’ve seen the music department grow and grow into a greatly talented music community. The music department has given me so many opportunities such as Zimbe and singing at Wigan rugby stadium and learning bass guitar, violin and singing. I love music so much that it even got me to pass a grade 3 singing exam!