The study of a language in the Sixth Form allows for an even deeper understanding of how the language works, and there is also the opportunity to study both film and literature, from Molière to Truffaut. At this stage, the aim is to reach a level of fluency in all skills, which is achieved by reading a variety of literature, from magazine articles to a novel.
Real resources are used to challenge students, for example news websites and French documentaries. Students enjoy the opportunity to immerse themselves in the language and are encouraged to find an area that they are particularly interested in, with many following French sites through Twitter in their own time.
Our students combine the study of a language with many other subjects, from science and maths, to history and English, as they all realise that A Level French can enhance their future opportunities, including further study at university, regardless of the career path that they wish to follow.
- Aspects of French-speaking society: The changing nature of family, The ‘cyber-society’, The place of voluntary work
- Artistic culture in the French-speaking world: A culture proud of its heritage, Contemporary francophone music, Cinema (The 7th Art Form)
- Literary text OR film from a prescribed list.
In addition to the topics at Year 1:
- Current Issues: Positive features of a diverse society, Life for the marginalised, How criminals are treated
- Political life in the French speaking world: Teenagers, the right to vote and political commitment, Demonstrations and strikes, Politics and immigration
- Either one text and one film, OR two texts from a prescribed list
- Individual research project
Year 1 (AS only)
Paper 1 (40%): Listening, Reading and Translation into English (1h45)
Paper 2 (30%): Translation into French, Essay question on a text or film (1h15)
Paper 3 (30%): Speaking based on stimulus cards (12-14m)
Paper 1 (40%): Listening, Reading and Translation into English and French (2h30)
Paper 2 (30%): Essay question on a text and a film (2h)
Paper 3 (30%): Speaking based on stimulus card and presentation of individual research project (16-18m)
You could have the opportunity to visit leading universities for sessions related to film and culture, and for those who are interested, work experience abroad can be arranged.
Click on Teacher name to read full bio
❝If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.❞
So what are you waiting for?
We believe we offer an outstanding selection of courses along with spectacular facilities and an amazing enrichment programme. Why not complete our online application form so that we can explore the possibilities open to you.