A-Level Art & Design A Level provides students with a range of creative, exciting and stimulating opportunities to explore their interests in Art and Design in ways that are relevant and developmental. This course allows Fine Art, Graphics and Photography endorsements.
In addition it provides:
- A strong and appropriate foundation for further progression to Art and Design related courses including degree level studies in Art and Design as well as enhancing vocational and career pathways.
- Independence for students – you can study the themes which most interest you. You will be introduced to a variety of experiences exploring a range of Art, Craft and Design media, techniques and processes developing your knowledge, skills and understanding through the study of exciting artists, designers and craftspeople.
- The course reflects current developments in the Art and Design industry, in terms of the use of new media technologies. Our Apple and DSLR equipment is industry-standard which produces quality Art, Design and Photography work.
- The straightforward assessment criteria is designed to give you the opportunity to select work from your course which best supports the four assessment objectives.
- Skills that you will develop: Creativity, imagination, research, investigation and experimentation, the development of ideas from first-hand experience and, where appropriate, secondary source materials.
The course comprises of students working through set project briefs in at least 2 specialist areas to complete Unit 1 based on the theme:
Unit 1 – A Sense of Place. Students can select a subtheme to suit their own endorsement and skill in Art, & Photography. The subthemes include: A Familiar Place, Memories, Derelict & a Detailed Space.
Endorsements: As students work progresses they will be taught skills to improve their understanding of two to three endorsements: Photography, Graphics, Painting and Drawing, 3D, Mixed media including textiles.
You will be taught a range of skills including: Photoshop, Printmaking, Embroidery, ICT, Photography, Metalwork, Mixed media which includes printing and stitching onto fabric, bark, mono-printing, journaling, intaglio print, woodcutting, illustration and ceramics.
This Portfolio unit is designed to encompass a wide range of experiences and skills across the Art and Design spectrum. All students must work through these projects although their open-ended nature nevertheless allows ample scope for personal interpretation. In non-contact time, students are expected to produce personal work and develop assessment objectives in more depth.
Unit 2 – Externally set task by AQA Exam board
- Unlimited preparation time.
10 hours of sustained focused study.
Candidates respond to their chosen starting point.
Year 2 – A Level – Component 1 Personal investigation
This is a practical investigation supported by written material. Students are required to conduct a practical investigation, into an idea, issue, concept or theme, supported by written material. The focus of the investigation must be identified independently by the student and must lead to a finished outcome or a series of related finished outcomes.
A-Level Year 1 50% Practical Coursework | 50% Two hour written exam
A-Level Year 2 50% Practical coursework | 50% Two hour written exam
During the course students will have the opportunity to work with ceramicists, photographers and printmakers in the Academy.
To further their understanding students will have the opportunity to travel to London, Liverpool and Manchester to take part in photoshoots. The visits will also include visits to galleries and practising artists.
Art & Design Staff
Click on Teacher name to read full bio
Miss A. J. Brady
P.G.C.E / B.Des (Hons)
Since graduating with a Design Degree I have taught Art & Design for sixteen years as a Head of Performing Arts Faculty in Liverpool and a Subject Leader at Accrington Academy with a team of three and still love what I do. I have always been very passionate about art and creativity and am really intrigued about project based learning, cross curricular projects across subjects and enthusing students to work to their strengths. In my career I have led Gifted and Talented projects, coordinated large full year enrichment projects and Big Draw (Art & Science projects) projects with whole year groups. I am proud of the fact that I have been given the opportunity to lead a large European Erasmus project with students from Accrington Academy along with five other countries to make an European Funded collaborative animation. Accrington Academy is a fantastic place to work and consistently challenges my approach to teaching and leading.
A-Level Pass Grades A* - E
Most students achieve their expected grades or above and many students move onto university.
So what are you waiting for?
We believe we offer an outstanding selection of courses along with spectacular facilities and an amazing enrichment programme. Why not complete our online application form so that we can explore the possibilities open to you.